Tuesday 16 April 2013

Sacrifice brings forth blessings!

On our first Sunday in America we planned to visit Santee Ward in San Diego where a friend of ours is currently serving his mission - Elder Chris Douglass.  I had absolutely no idea that it was 2 hours away from where we were staying in Anaheim.  So on the Saturday we had a decision to make with our family... leave Disneyland around 9 pm and then drive down to San Diego that night or stay until 11 pm and get up early at 6:45 am and drive to San Diego.  Of course the majority wanted to stay at Disneyland as long as possible!  So after an early early rise for Jason we started for San Diego just to attend a ward to see an Elder who wasn't even expecting us or not even part of the family I was really questioning whether this was worth it.  But Jason was determined and he had all the tough work of driving so I kept my mouth shut and didn't complain as most of the children went back to sleep.  Unfortunately we got a little lost but I was able to get us back on track (which is rare for me which is why i must add this sentence) As we were back on track I just said a passing comment like 'whew Heavenly Father must love us today as he helped us get back on track!' - then Matthew replied from the back - 'Mum that doesn't make any sense - Heavenly Father loves us all the  time!!!' - how true.

So with about 10 minutes to go a few children started getting ready for church slowly in the back of the RV while Jason was still driving!!! It was quite funny actually - we kept passing Jason food and toothbrush and things like his tie so he could be ready.  Anyway in the end we made it with 1 minute to spare so I sent Jason and most of the children in while I continued getting ready in the RV parked out the back of the chapel....one weird situation.

By the time I had arrived in the chapel I noticed Elder Douglass - looking strong, confident and happy and then asked Jason if he had seen us.  Jason replied that he hadn't and that he was about to help the Young men pass the sacrament so for sure he would see us....but no he didn't.  He was focused upon serving others and fulfilling his assignment at that time.  Later after the meeting he mentioned to us that during the closing hymn he turned around and saw us and was absolutely gob smacked!  He couldn't believe that we were there to see him in his own ward!  It was such a lovely day to spend with him and attend classes with him and hopefully it helped him as much as it did us.  It was great for my boys especially Michael seeing someone they know serving a mission for the church.

So then comes our blessings.  It had been such a rushed day that I wasn't really prepared for much but the Bishop and his family invited us over for lunch and also Elder Douglass and his companion so we were able to all catch up and spend some more time with each other.  The Bloomfields were so generous and friendly that my children were all very happy to play with them and could of stayed there forever.  Heather the mum even took some of my kids to the park so I could rest and catch up on a little sleep.

Jason and Elder Douglass


Then the next night we all caught up again at the Drive - In and watched the Croods.  The children were all really happy to be together again.  The Bloomfields had chairs, blankets and even snacks for us all - they were just so helpful and lovely!  I hope I can remember such generosity and hope to repay them one day or if not them try to remember what it is like to travel and to help others in a similar situation!




No comments:

Post a Comment